A Different Paradigm of Short-Term Mission
In Short-Term Mission Partnerships: Lessons from Paul and the Philippians, Daniel Rickett describes how Paul’s relationship with the church at Philippi calls for a different paradigm of short-term mission that:
- Changes the way we envision and plan short-term missions.
- Changes our approach from a hodgepodge of unrelated trips to a series of intentional engagements with the same people in the same place.
- Changes our starting position from being givers to first being friends.
- Changes our orientation from being teachers and service providers to being companions in the gospel.
- Changes our methods from doing for others to accompanying others in living like citizens of heaven on earth.
- Changes the impression we leave from being tourists to being fellow citizens in the struggle to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God (Micah 6:8).