Teaching Assistants Needed in Uganda
- Trip Status: Open
- Date: Year-Round
- Contact: Angela Voskuil at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trip Costs: Must raise your own support
Teaching assistants are needed to work with the Karamoja Education Outreach program in Uganda.
Karamoja Education Outreach (KEO):
KEO was started by the OP Uganda Mission four years ago. It encompasses:
- Teaching preschool students in the KEO building
- Taking preschool instruction to three local villages
- Bible outreach in two government-run primary schools
“Preschool” children are aged about 4 to 10 years old.
Nineteen Karamojong teachers are employed to do all the teaching in the native language. A Missionary Associate (MA) serves as co-manager of the preschool along with three Karamojong Head Teachers.
Short-term teaching assistants:
- Help teach literacy, numeracy, health, Bible verses, and songs to preschoolers
- Help prepare Bible lessons to be taught in two government-run primary schools
- Help the MA with day to day running of the preschool
Those desiring to serve as teaching assistants should be:
- Interested in making the best out of not-always-perfect situations
- Not fussy or dogmatic
- Willing to take initiative and follow through on plans
- Experience and/or training in education
- Anyone who is good at sports – especially soccer!
- Young men are especially appreciated and enjoyed by the children!
- Interest in learning the local language (with the help of the missionaries and KEO teachers) would be a great asset.
- Short-term teaching assistants are welcome at any time of the year, as KEO is open year-round
- Summer visitors are welcome, but should know that it can take 3 to 4 months just to adjust
- A visit of at least 6 months is best
- KEO teaching assistants, like other short-term missionaries, must raise their own support
- Costs vary considerably from person to person depending on how long one stays and current airfare rates
- Contact Angela Voskuil, below, for the details.
About Uganda and KEO:
- Visit the comprehensive OPUM Website
- A carefully detailed Visitor’s Handbook is must-reading for anyone considering serving in this remote region of the world
- Visit KEO on Facebook
Miss Angela Voskuil
Missionary Associate, OP Uganda Mission