How to Volunteer
Join those who are saying "yes" to volunteering for OPC Disaster Response work following Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria.
Denominational: David Nakhla, OPC Disaster Response Coordinator, is overseeing OPC relief efforts from the OPC Administrative Offices in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, and visiting the relief sites as needed.
Regional: Regional Disaster Response Coordinators are in place in:
- Presbytery of the Southwest (Houston relief site)
- Presbytery of the South (Florida relief sites)
- Presbytery of New Jersey (Puerto Rico relief site)
Local: Local Site Coordinators and Volunteer Coordinators are on location.
We Need You!
- Volunteers are needed in Houston (Hurricane Harvey)
- Volunteers are needed in Key West (Hurricane Irma)**
- Volunteers are needed in Puerto Rico (Hurricane Maria)**
- Skilled volunteers are needed
- Unskilled volunteers are needed
- Volunteers are needed now
- Volunteers will be needed over the next year or more
- Volunteers can give whatever length of time they are able to
- Volunteers are responsible for their own travel to the relief site in most cases
- Volunteers are responsible for their own food in most cases
- Volunteers will be provided with local housing
Disaster Relief is Diaconal:
- Let the deacons in your church know that you are interested in volunteering for hurricane relief.
- Ask if diaconal funds can be used towards your transportation and food.
Call for Volunteers:
- Click here for a printable PDF flier to use as a bulletin insert or poster at your church.
Current Need for Volunteers in Houston:
- Click here to check for openings in the Houston Volunteer Schedule.
Harvey Application Form and FAQs:
- Click here for FAQs and an application to serve as a Hurricane Harvey Volunteer in Houston.
Examples of Volunteer Jobs:
- Click here for examples of skilled labor and a video of one team at work
- Bringing encouragement!
- Clearing out downed trees, branches, and other debris
- General cleaning
- Local outreach
- Mucking out
- Trash hauling
Local Outreach in Houston:
- Doorstep visitation and prayer
- Gospel literature distribution
** Key West and Puerto Rico Update:
- How to Help in Puerto Rico? (October 2017)
- The latest from Key West (February 2018)
- Light in the Darkness of Puerto Rico (February 2018)
- Stay tuned to Facebook for updates
Follow Hurricane Relief:
- Click to find the latest reports on the work in:
- Click here to find archived S.T.O.R.M. Report newsletters on hurricane relief
Any and all questions may be directed to our Volunteer Coordinators. They look forward to hearing from you.
- Houston (Hurricane Harvey): HarveyVolunteers@opc.org
- Florida (Hurricane Irma): IrmaVolunteers@opc.org
- Puerto Rico (Hurricane Maria): MariaVolunteers@opc.org