How to Volunteer
OPC Disaster Response was mobilized in Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico, following Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, in August and September 2017.
- Since that time, hurricane relief teams have been serving continuously in Houston, Texas.
- Local hurricane relief efforts were completed in Naples and Key West, Florida, by the end of 2017.
- Puerto Rico presented a different challenge. It took many months for the island's infrastructure - power, water, cell coverage, internet access, roads, etc. - to be restored by local authorities. The Presbytery of New Jersey, to which the Puerto Rico OPC churches belong, has kept in close touch with the churches and made several visits. Now in the spring of 2018, hurricane relief teams can be organized to go in and help churches and homeowners.
- David Nakhla, OPC Disaster Response Coordinator, has been overseeing OPC relief efforts from the OPC Administrative Offices in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, and visiting the relief sites as needed.
- Steve Larson, Regional Disaster Response Coordinator
- Jeff Davis, Site Coordinator
- Peggy Sumpter, Volunteer Coordinator
- Gloria Davis, Hospitality Coordinator
- Presbytery of New Jersey:
- Puerto Rico Disaster Response Committee
- Ed Kauffman, Regional Disaster Response Coordinator
We Need You!
- Skilled volunteers are needed
- Unskilled volunteers are needed
- Volunteers can give whatever length of time they are able to
- Volunteers are responsible for their own travel to the relief site in most cases
- Volunteers are responsible for their own food in most cases
- Volunteers will be provided with local housing
Disaster Relief is Diaconal:
- Let the deacons in your church know that you are interested in volunteering for hurricane relief.
- Ask if diaconal funds can be used towards your transportation and food.
Call for Volunteers:
- Click here for a printable PDF flier to use as a bulletin insert or poster at your church.
Current Needs for Volunteers:
- Visit Current Opportunities for openings for disaster response volunteers
Houston Application Form and FAQs:
- Click here for FAQs and an application to serve as a Hurricane Harvey Volunteer in Houston.
Examples of Volunteer Jobs:
- Click here for a sample list of work accomplished and videos of some of the teams.
- Trash hauling
- Clearing away outdoor debris
- Doorstep visitation and prayer
- Gospel literature distribution
Follow Hurricane Relief:
- Hurricane Harvey Archives
- Hurricane Irma Archives
- Hurricane Maria Archives
- Stay tuned to Facebook for updates
- Read the S.T.O.R.M. Report
Any and all questions may be directed to our Volunteer Coordinators. They look forward to hearing from you.
Volunteer Photo Gallery: